Sunday, January 24, 2010

24/365: Goodnight, forest

24/365: Goodnight, forest
24/365: Goodnight, forest, originally uploaded by Magic Madzik.
January 24th

The Łagiewnicki forest is named after the XIth century settlement of Łagiewniki which supplied the nearby court in Zgierz with vessels of wood, clay and hide. Such a bowl or flagon was called 'łagiew' and the craftsman who made it a 'łagiewnik'. Hence the name.

Today the forest is a natural preserve covering almost three thousand acres. Almost half of it is composed of oak trees- a good twenty percent is birch, which you can see in the photo.

It is a lovely place to visit at any time of year. Unfortunately it's very cold right now, so cold that when I got off the bus I almost wanted to get right back on it again. Which means I was a bit careless with my photos. The thing is, when you've got a long walk ahead before you get out of the woods, night is falling quickly and your fingers are frozen stiff, you really don't feel like messing with the tripod and the f-stops.

I think I will try putting on more clothes sometime this week and going back for another shot.

4 comments:

  1. I love birch trees! I have never seen them in a forest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Birch woods are really common here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd almost make that my desktop background at work, except right now I'm showing my goalie some love. Goaltender > pretty trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also it's not sharp at all in full res. :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...