Saturday, January 16, 2010

16/365: Marie Skłodowska-Curie

16/365: Marie Skłodowska-Curie
January 16th

A scientist's street. Since Marie Curie's maiden name was Skłodowska we actually put it before her married name, I suspect the rest of the world omits it because they are ashamed of not being able to pronounce it. :P

The plaque (an old plaque, I wonder how it missed getting replaced) says:

STREET [of]
Marie Skłodowska-Curie
1867-1934, Scientist

It caught my eye because we don't really use the word 'uczona' to describe a (female) scientist anymore- nowadays it's the genderless 'naukowiec' which has precise connotations to the scientific method. The archaic form 'uczona' which literally means 'a woman who has been taught' is a broader term for someone who is a renowned scholar. It suggests reverence and respect are in order.

Instead of a wiki link (because, really, you should know who Marie Curie was), here is a gratuitous link to a wonderful and relevant little comic.

On a side note, I am just not happy with my photos recently. They're fine for reference, I'd even say they would do well in a newspaper, but they're not special. There's no art in the frame, and I don't know how to catch it again. Maybe I never had it?

Also I've been having a lot of trouble managing light and sharpness recently. I know it's winter and that the daylight is bland, and that humid and cold air doesn't help with focusing, but I still feel like I'm doing extremely poorly for my capabilities.

I think I will buy a few rolls of film and try going back to one of my analog cameras. Maybe all I need to deal with this weather is a more artistic kind of grain and blur. Only film is so much more expensive than digital. :(

Anyway, here's a map of the pictures of Łódź I've taken so far this year.



Maybe I'm just cranky because I can't figure out what I'm allergic to. Right now thanks to some detective work and the elimination process it's down to meat, chocolate, and cigarette smoke (I refuse to place Guinness in this horrid calculation).

5 comments:

  1. W tym budynku na zdjęciu, lata temu był szpital położniczy. Było to również pierwsze w moim życiu miejsce, które kiedykolwiek zobaczyłem :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oszit! :D jakie to słodkie. Ja jestem z ulicy Madalińskiego w Warszawie. Nie wiem kto lepszy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really. Do you not like this photo? Because I love it. The angles, the colors, everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't seem to cut and paste in your blog. I was going to give you ua link to an inspiring video for dealing with the winter photo doldrums by Zack Arias. If you haven't seen it before, google "Zack Arias Transform."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry too much about the sudden streak of photo problems. I think it's a worldwide midwinter blues thing: You're having issues, I'm having issues, my Komet photo buddy is having issues.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...