Tuesday, November 24, 2009

After changes upon changes, it's all more or less the same.

I remain a fan of Lodz. I arrived here in 2002 as a student, I stayed expecting steady employment (which, for various reasons, turned out to be a very silly expectation). I've seen this city change a lot in the last six years- I just wish I'd taken some photos in the first three, because some of the changes are stupendous.

Take this building:

101/366: Tangle

I am not certain of the story save that it was a tangled one- an attempt to demolish it turned into a reconstruction which took over a year. Today, in drearier weather, I took a photo of the result:

Fake windows

Yes, those are fake windows, and an extra floor. Not bad for a building that was supposed to be demolished, no?

Things do change in Lodz, although sometimes they stagnate for a very long time. I don't have any photos of this building when it was not yet condemned and held a pharmacy and fur cleaner, but at some point it was boarded up. A year or two later came the veil:

Sunday Ghost Town

It only covered the Southern side- the Western facade remained optimistic:

43/366: Hopeful

The veil was supposedly put up to keep fragments of brick and plaster from falling down on people's heads, but it gave the impression of a misty spell, or a Christo installation:

4/365: Veiled

But clearly the building was sick of waiting for the death sentence that never came. Slowly, as buildings will, it freed itself from its shroud.

Unveiled

:)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...