Sunday, April 4, 2010

93/365: Blessing the food

93/365: Blessing the food
93/365: Blessing the food, originally uploaded by Magic Madzik.
April 3rd

Święconka is a Polish Easter tradition, where on Good Saturday we take a basket of food to church for a blessing. The most common traditional basket contains eggs, meat, cake, bread, salt and pepper, horseradish and beetrot sauce, and a sugar lamb. They represent all the food we will eat on Easter Morning, after the Resurrection. Children in particular like Święconka as they are usually the ones to carry a little basket. I still use the same basket I brought to church when I was very small, I wouldn't have any other.

(later my cat Radesh broke into the dining room and stole all the meat from my basket. Which is just as well since I don't really eat meat anymore anyway...)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...